It’s a Strange, Strange World
Sung to the tune of ‘It’s a small, small world . . . . ‘ if you can stomach it.
The rest of the world seems to be doing well with the ‘la dee da’ of it all.
It’s a strange, strange world, we live in when
- An imperious and egocentric twit like Oscar Pistorius can get away with murder.
- The Islamic State can – apparently with a straight face – publish a magazine that asserts that its bloodthirsty tactics involving beheading.
- Selling women and kids into bondage, etc. are not only justified but are condoned by sharia law.
- Fundamentalist Christians can establish a creationism museum that actually includes an exhibit of a Tyrannosaurus Rex with a saddle on its back (!!!).
- Vladimir Putin can make threatening noises about the perfidy of Ukrainians (in his orthodoxy they’re all Nazis) and arrange for the annexation of Crimea and continued agitation in eastern Ukraine while European and North American leaders do little more than tut-tut.
- People talk about how Saskatoon should have an NHL team but realize that it can’t happen because if the city of bridges got an NHL team then Toronto would want one too!
As young men we all believed that the world was improving, that we would leave a better place for our kids. And during our long lives mankind’s material progress has been substantial. But the overall climate – the peacefulness of the planet – has it really improved? I’m hard pressed to see it.